About Me

My photo
Pacific Northwest, United States
We'll use this blog to put out some photo tips we've found through our shooting experiences. Along with family stuff. Going to give this blog thing a try and thanks in advance for looking. And especially being aware I'm learning all this as I go!

Followers

Sunday, August 28, 2011

How I Did It




I have talked with many people just starting out and wondering how to set up their camera. I've been taking digital photos for over ten years and am still learning. Here is my advice....read as many magazines, books and articles online in regards to what you are going to be shooting. For each different situation there are totally different settings. Another tip...shoot like a maniac, check what you've just taken and adjust. At this shoot I took over 700 images. Maybe 20% were OK, 10% were good and maybe 1% were WOW.

With that being said here is what I did to get this shot.

This was early evening at an indoor arena with East and West open areas. There was not spot lighting or flash, just the light from the sun going down. I was shooting with a Canon 7D and Canon 28-135mm lens using shutter priority at 160th second. I kept changing from ISO 400 to 800 and either spot metering or partial metering. Also I kept changing the exposure compensation to allow more light in but making sure I kept a shutter speed fast enough to stop the action.

Now go out there and shoot. It's the best way to learn and it's so danged much fun...especially when you get the results you were hoping for.

No comments:

Post a Comment